Pig’s Ear and pulled pork are a no-brainer. To take it over the top, we used our famous K&M Root Beer to make a zesty sweet BBQ sauce.
We are talking about a MOUTH MASTERPIECE!
1a. FOR THE PORK
– 1 pork butt or shoulder 3-4 lbs
– 1 can Pig’s Ear Brown Ale
– 2 cups chicken or beef stock
– 1 yellow onion, diced
– 1 tablespoon onion powder
– 1 tablespoon garlic powder
– 1 tablespoon celery salt
– 1 tablespoon paprika
– 1-1/2 cup brown sugar
1b. FOR THE BBQ SAUCE
– 3 cans of K&M Root Beer
– 3/4 apple cider vinegar
– 1/4 cup ketchup
– 1/4 cup yellow mustard
– 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
– 1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
– 2-3 tablespoons brown sugar (if you like a sweeter sauce, add a little more)
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
– 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
– 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
2a. TO MAKE THE PORK
1. Combine spices & brown sugar to make a rub.
2. Rub pork with combination then sear on all sides in a hot frying pan or cast iron skillet.
3. Once the pork is seared on all sides, put pork in a stock pot with diced onion and 1 can of Pig’s Ear.
4. Cook on high until beer is reduced by half, then add stock put heat to med-low and walk away!
5. Let cook for 3-4 hours.
6. Strain liquid and let pork rest for 20 minutes, then begin pulling the pork apart using two forks.
While the pork is cooking you can make your K&M Root Beer BBQ sauce!
2b. TO MAKE THE BBQ SAUCE
1. Add root beer to a medium-sized sauce pan.
2. Boil the root beer over med-high heat until it’s reduced down to 1 cup – this will take about one hour.
3. Once the root beer is reduced down and nice and thick, add the remaining ingredients and simmer for 20 minutes.
4. Toss your delicious Pig’s Ear pulled pork with the sauce and ENJOY!
ABOUT THE BEER
Woodstock Inn Brewery’s Pig’s Ear Brown Ale is the flagship beer. This brown ale is smooth and nutty with roasty, toffee, caramel and chocolate notes in the finish. Delicious and accessible.
Pig’s Ear Brown Ale is available at the brewery as well as package and grocery stores throughout New England, including Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island and Vermont.
ABOUT THE ROOT BEER
K&M Root Beer is a non-alcoholic, old fashioned root beer. The letters K and M stand for brother and sister Keegan & Molly Rice. They are the son and daughter of Scott and Peggy Rice, owners of the inn, restaurant and brewery.
This root beer is great by itself or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for an awesome root beer float. K&M Root Beer is available at the brewery and a small handful of select stores.
Can’t find our beer? We can help!